Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rain and Night Riding

We've been getting into fall weather during the past two weeks or so. The skies are cloudy and rain is in the forecast almost everyday. The leaves on the trees change color daily. Temperatures are falling, but haven't plunged yet, still ranging from the high 30s to the low 60s. The chilly air hasn't become much of an issue yet. I still wear sandals on my commute to classes; Tim is still wearing shorts. Zeb gets bundled up more: long pants, shoes, sweaters, and sometimes a thin hat under his helmet. He gets colder sitting still riding than we do pedaling.

Even the rain hasn't been that bad. I had thought it would. The first few days, when rain was in the forecast each day of the week, I dreaded my rides into classes. But I planned ahead with a spare change of clothes in my locker at school and a plastic garbage bag lining my book bag. And you know, it hasn't been too bad. I've definitely gotten wet, but I haven't gotten drenched yet. Usually the rain is light enough, and the ride short enough, that I end up just being damp at the end. Tim's schedule is flexible enough that he is often able to wait for a "weather window" before heading out. (Yesterday we tried that: we waited til late morning and clouds breaking to blue skies to head into town. We did fine until we reached Main Street, a few blocks from the college. Then the downpour hit: we were soaked by the time we reached campus.)

Overall, I haven't really minded the weather. Last night was the exception. We stayed late on campus to see the opening of an art show put on by a friend. Zeb and I left around 7:00 PM. Zeb was tired and dozed off for the beginning of the ride. I love riding in the dark most nights. There is something about the darkness that seems almost physical, caressing my skin. The air is usually still, and the scents seem stronger. There is less traffic, and I turn off my headlight and ride by the moon light. About halfway home though, it started to rain. I was OK with that, we were heading home to bed, so the wet didn't really matter. But the rain woke Zeb and he started crying. I tried to console him with talk about home and bed, but he was tired and didn't understand why he had to sit in the rain. I felt bad that there was so little I could do for him. He had warm clothes on and he was only getting wet on his hands, face, and head, but he just didn't like it. We did get home eventually. Zeb went to sleep and was fine in the end. But it was the first time this semester that I've really been bothered by the weather as I've ridden my bike.

As we continue to move towards winter, we work to improve our bad weather systems. We're digging out or buying appropriate warm clothing for each member of the family. Tim wants to put the studded snow tires on the bikes in mid-November; I want to hold out, enjoying the speed and ease of the summer tires.

It looks like there are a few sunny days in the upcoming weather forecast. I'll put aside concerns about the upcoming winter and enjoy the current fall splendor.

No comments: