Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Background

My husband, Tim, our one-year old son, Zeb, and I live about five miles outside the small college town of Poultney, Vermont. We own a car, a 2000 Mazada Protege, but we don't use it, at least, not now. And we don't plan to use it for another ten weeks. As part of my project for Delicate Balance, the senior capstone course at Green Mountain College, I've decided to take my education in Ecology and Sustainability into personal practice by not driving or riding in personal vechicles. My own exceptions to this rule are medical emergencies and class field trips. Tim says that he'll only use a car for what he needs a car for. (So far, that's been once for work and once between the train station and his parents' house.) Zeb hasn't said much on the subject.

Our commute to town isn't too bad: it's one mile of dirt road and four miles along Rte. 30. The shoulder width varies and there are low to moderate amounts of car traffic. There are two up-hills on the way into town, and three on the way home. Getting into town takes about 20 minutes; coming home takes about 30 or 35. I have classes five days a week, but with weekend activities, I often find myself riding in six or seven days a week. Tim comes into town four to six days a week.

I have a babyseat for Zeb on the rear rack of my bike. Tim added a rack to the front of my bike so I can carry both bookbag and baby. Tim carries Zeb on his back in a soft babycarrier called a Patapum. That leaves his rear rack free for bags and grocieries. He says that Zeb stays warmer this way and that Z. is more likely to stay asleep upon arrival at the destination. I've tried this method, but I find it hard on my body and prefer the seat.

We have a trailer for large loads that Tim built last week. (I'll add pictures to a later post.) Tim got an old kid-seat trailer in trade for some bike repair work he did. We used that for most of September until the wheels began to fall off. We looked at buying a trailer, maybe a BOB or a Burley Nomad, but the prices (>$300) were a bit prohibitive for us. Instead, in one morning, Tim built a simple, rugged, flatbed trailer from dump parts and a piece of luan. Total cost: about $17.

That's the general background on what we're doing. As the semester progresses, I'll be adding more postings about how things are going, what it's like, and general thoughts on transportation ecology and ethics. I hope you enjoy the read!