Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Cold is Not a Medical Emergency

After some heavy thought on the matter, I have come to the conclusion that a cold is NOT a medical emergency. So even though I've been fighting of this cold for the past week and a half, I am not entitled to drive the car. When my cold morphed into a sinus infection, I decided that I am entitled to take a day off (today, in fact) from classes and assignments to sleep and drink plenty of fluids.

It's an interesting predicament. I had thought of taking a day off earlier, when I first got sick, but to be officially excused from classes, I would need a doctor's note. To get a doctor's note, I would have to cycle into Poultney or Castleton, since a cold really isn't a medical emergency. And if I was healthy enough to cycle into town, than surely I was healthy enough to go to class.

I wonder sometimes if the extra exercise from the cycling is bolstering my immune system, or if it is adding extra stress to my body making me more likely to get sick and less able to get healthy. Probably it wasn't helpful to cycle after I got sick.

Anyway, one day off from cycling and classes and I'm bound to get better. On to other things.

I paid the bill for our car insurance this week. To keep the car available for medical emergencies and Tim's very sporadic use--(for the record, Tim has only used our car once this semester)--we opted not to place a hold on the insurance. We only carry liability on it, so right now we are paying $0.87 per day to insure against it crashing into anything while it sits in the parking lot. Funny, isn't it?

No comments: